This summer is going to be a hot one! If you are anything like me, scorching hot days are the worst. I grew up in a home where the air conditioner only was turned on once the temperature was almost to the triple digits. Here are some great ways for you and your family to beat the heat!
- Skip using appliances: Try to air dry dishes, or put meals in the crock pot instead of oven. This will help keep the house from heating up (and takes less work).
- Drink more water and eat more fruits and veggies: Staying hydrated is the easiest way to beat the heat. Take a water bottle with you everywhere you go, and eat more fruits and vegetables since they are filled with water
- Stick stuffed animals in the freezer for little ones: Pop their favorite stuffed animal in the freezer a few hours before bedtime, and this will help them cool off and fall asleep easier.
- Know your body’s cooling points: knowing where to put cold water or ice on specific trigger points on your body will help cool you off: wrists, elbows, neck. These areas work great to cool you down because they are pulse points-essentially, areas where you can feel your pulse because your blood vessels are close to the surface of your skin.
- Find fun indoor activities: Check out what is happening at local libraries, museums, science centers, etc. This is a great activity to keep the kids entertained, and the whole family gets to stay nice and cool during the summer.
- Hit up local pools and beaches: look into pool passes, find a friend with a pool, or check out local beaches
Get out and enjoy summer, but just remember to take care of yourself, and trust your body when you need to take a break from the heat.